Monday, July 4, 2011

Where There's Smoke...

Now that I work out of my home, I don’t get a chance to get out much during the week and find that my “chores” build up to critical mass.  I then end up have to take an afternoon of running around town to get at least some of the items marked off of the top of the list.  Friday was such a day and I decided to take the camera with me.   
On the way home I noticed a large billow of dark smoke coming from the west side of the city, obviously from a fire.  Not appearing to be a big one, but recognizing the temps were in the upper 90’s and heat index in the 100’s, I thought I might be able to capture some shots of the firefighters enduring what they do to serve our community.  Fires seem to never be comfortable places no matter what the weather, and the heat and humidity of a Midwest summer can be even more dangerous to the firefighters than the fire itself.  Fighting a fire in a heavy coat, overalls, hat and gloves in triple digit temps can take a toll on a body.
I could see the smoke dissipating as I drove towards the source and suspected some type of vehicle fire.  I arrived to find a gutted motor home, the fire out and, fortunately, no one injured.  It was a typical summer afternoon: hot and humid with a high sun and nearly the worst lighting conditions a photographer can hope for.  


Terrible, harsh sun and dark, hard shadows.  AKA: Ugly light.

I captured a few images of the overall scene in full, harsh sunlight.  The activity began again as they started the final work of eliminating any remaining smoldering places.  I clicked away hoping a decently lit shot would avail itself.  When all seemed lost, I saw one of the guys enter the motor home with a hose.  I found a vantage point from the rear of the motor home, looking through the blown out rear window, and access to a nicely lit shot.

Lighting:     Sunlight, through the burned out roof of the motor home, filtered through an overhead tree canopy.  The fire-blackened walls served to reduce the reflected light and provide for some nice highlights from the overhead light. 

Exposure:    ISO 400, 1/400 sec. @ F 2.8, +1/3 stop exposure compensation. 
                   Aperture Priority mode using Partial (spot) metering.



 Exposure:    ISO 400, 1/200 sec. @ F 2.8, +1/3 stop exposure compensation. 
                     Aperture Priority mode using Partial (spot) metering.
I normally shoot in Manual mode, but in rapidly changing light conditions I will use Aperture Priority in combination with spot metering and use the exposure compensation dial to adjust for the situation. I find I can do this fairly quickly and faster than when in Manual mode.  The auto exposure, combined with the spot metering, usually gives me a good starting point in the changing in light conditions rather than having to dial it in when using Manual and then adjusting for the conditions (expose towards shadow or highlight). 
Remember:  The camera metering system wants to give you a flat, 18% gray.  Not conducive to an interestingly lit photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment